Aaron C. Hall, Esq.
Aaron Hall is a graduate of the University of Colorado Law School. Mr. Hall is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and has served as the Chair of the Colorado Chapter’s New Members Division, the Colorado Chapter’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Liaison Committee, and on AILA National’s Amicus Committee. Mr. Hall is a member of the Colorado Bar Association (CBA) and served as the Chair of the Immigration Law Section for the 2014-2015 year. In addition, Mr. Hall is a member of the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, focusing on analyzing the potential for postconviction relief for noncitizen defendants in criminal court and on working with defense counsel to apprise noncitizen defendants of the potential immigration consequences of criminal charges.
Mr. Hall frequently presents both locally and nationally on immigration topics including immigration consequences of criminal convictions, removal defense, and family immigration. Mr. Hall was named to 5280 Magazine’s list of Top Lawyers for immigration in 2015 and was named a rising star by Super Lawyers Magazine in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Prior to joining Joseph Law Firm, P.C., Mr. Hall gained experience working with detained non-citizens at the Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Center (“RMIAN”). Since 2011, he has volunteered on RMIAN’s Pro Bono Mentoring Panel. He is also a member of the Colorado Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (“ACLU”) and presents on behalf of the ACLU of Colorado’s Speakers Bureau.
Mr. Hall has represented clients in matters before United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”), immigration court, the Board of Immigration Appeals (“BIA”), state district court, the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and the United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Hall is a native of Denver and enjoys spending time with his family in Colorado’s mountains and on the beaches of his wife’s native Peru.
- University of Colorado Law School – J.D.
- University of Colorado at Boulder – B.A.
Civic & Community Activities:
- Volunteer Presenter for ACLU of Colorado Speakers Bureau
- Member of Rocky Mountain Immigration Advocacy Network’s Pro Bono Mentoring Panel
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar
- Colorado Bar Association
- Aurora Bar Association
- Colorado Supreme Court
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
- Executive Office for Immigration Review
- Board of Immigration Appeals
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar
- Executive Council, Immigration Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association (2011-2015)
- Chair, Immigration Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association (2014-2015)
- Member, AILA Colorado Immigration and Customs Enforcement Liaison Committee (2012 to present)
- Chair, AILA Colorado New Members Division (2010-2012)
- Immigration Lawyers Association (2002-2007)
- Board Member, Aurora Bar Association (2014 to present)
Honors & Awards:
- Named to list of “Top Lawyers” for Immigration, 5280 Magazine (2015)
- Named Colorado Rising Star by Colorado Super Lawyers Magazine (2012-2015)
- Denver Reforms Criminal Sentences to Protect Low Level Offenders from Deportation
- Latest From ICE on Enforcement Operations
- Aaron Hall Speaks at Rally and March at Civic Center Park
- Joseph Law Firm Wins Reopening of Deportation Order Based on New Supreme Court Decision in Mathis
- Reckoning with a President Trump
- Merry Christmas? USCIS Filing Fees Set to Go Up During Holidays
- Tenth Circuit Invalidates Part of “Crime of Violence” Definition as Unconstitutionally Vague
- Give Us Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses, and Your Snapchat Username
- Trump’s vow to “enforce the law” is also a promise to allow undocumented immigrants to apply to stay
- Supreme Court Deadlocks on DAPA: Program to Remain Blocked For Now, But Longer Term Fate Will Be Determined By Presidential Election
- President Trump’s First 100 Days: DACA Rescinded and Muslims Banned from Visiting U.S.
- Potential Outcomes After Supreme Court Oral Argument on DAPA: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Don’t Be Played for an April Fool!
- What Does Justice Scalia’s Passing Mean for DAPA?
- Coming Supreme Court Case to Impact Immigration Treatment of Colorado Convictions
- DOJ to pay $125,000 for unlawfully disregarding ability to release detainees without bond
- DAPA and Expanded DACA Finally Headed To U.S. Supreme Court
- What’s Happening With DAPA?
- Pope Francis To Feature Pro-Immigrant Message Throughout Visit to U.S.
- Dear Mr. Trump: Birthright Citizenship is Settled Law and We Shouldn’t Change It
- Expansion of Provisional Unlawful Presence Waivers of Inadmissibility
- TPS Designation for Nepal
- ICE Issues FAQs on Executive Action
- Jeb Bush Says He Would Not Repeal DACA and DAPA if Elected
- Attorney General Withdraws Matter of Silva-Trevino, Strict Categorical Approach to Apply in CIMT Analysis
- United Airlines settles employment discrimination case: Agrees to pay $270,000 in fines and back pay
- No Comprehensive Immigration Reform in 2014, Executive Actions Imminent
- 2013 Supreme Court Decisions Give New Hope to Noncitizens with Certain Criminal Convictions
- Provisional Waivers Mean Less Family Separation During Consular Processing
- Immigration Reform Update: “Gang of 8” Has Substantive Agreement
- Immigrants Access to Effective Counsel Key to Deportation Defense
- DHS Initiatives to Promote Startup Enterprises and Spur Job Creation
- Business Leaders Request More Work Visas From Congress
- Increase in Immigration Work Force’s Skill Level
- Study: Colorado’s Undocumented Workers Pay More in Taxes than they Receive in Services
- Increased Government Workplace Audits Coming
- Ski Industry Worries that Anti-Immigrant Bills Would Hurt Business
- Bloomberg Again Argues for Immigration Reform
- Report: Arizona’s SB 1070 Costs Over $141 Million
- USCIS Implements Fee Increase for H-1B and L-1 Visas
- Lower Immigration Numbers Hurting Housing Market
- DHS Focus on Enforcement of Employers of Undocumented Workers Continues
- Restauranteur Looking at Stiff Fines and Jail Time
- Fee Increase for H-1B and L-1 Visas
- Do Local Immigration Regulations Boost Local Economies? Study Suggests the Opposite.
- DHS Finalizes I-9 Employment Form Rule
- Stephen Colbert Highlights Need for Reform
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Joseph Law Firm, P.C.
- JLF Announces New Firm Partner
- Aaron Hall Discusses Immigration Reform on Colorado Public Television
- “Merits: Preserving the Record and Other Practical Issues,” AILA Fall CLE Conference Handbook (AILA 2014)
- “Motions to Suppress: Immigration Court Challenges to Illegal Government Action,” Immigration Practice Pointers, 2013-14 Ed. (AILA 2013)
- “Defending Noncitizens Who Have Drug Convictions,” Immigration Practice Pointers (AILA 2012)
- “Comment on Rosillo-Puga v. Holder,” Denver University Law Review Online, 2011
- “Practice Pointers for Completing Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative,” AILA Forms & Fundamentals, 2011 Edition
- "Getting Out: Strategies for Challenging Unlawful Detention in Federal Court," by Jeff Joseph & Aaron Hall, Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook 181 (2008-09 ed.)
- Immigration Law 2015: Practical Training for Representing Immigrant Survivors Seeking Asylum and Other Humanitarian Relief, Colorado Bar Association CLE, “Asylum Hearings,” September 2015
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Audio Seminar, “Marriage Fraud—Red Flags, Common Mistakes, and Foreseeable Issues,” September 2015
- Model Hearing Program, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network, “Removal Defense Best Practices,” May 2015
- Law Day 2015, Larimer County Bar Association, “Individual Rights from the Street to the Bench,” May 2015
- Hospitality Human Resources Association (HHRA) of Colorado, “Executive Immigration Action by the President: Legal and Ethical Issues for HR Professionals Dealing with New and Existing Workers,” HHRA Continuing Education, February 2015
- Third Annual Rocky Mountain Immigration Law Conference, American Immigration Lawyers Association, “CrimImm Caselaw Update,” October 2014
- Mastering the Art of Removal Defense, American Immigration Lawyers Association Fall Conference Seattle 2014, “Merits Hearings--Preserving the Record & Other Practical Issues,” September 2014
- Model Hearing Program, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network, “Cancellation of Removal for Lawful Permanent Residents,” February 2014
- University of Northern Colorado, “Rights of Job Seekers,” November 2013
- The Many Sides of Immigration Law, CLE in Colorado, Inc., “Crimmigration: Where the Criminal and Immigration Law Worlds Collide,” November 2013
- American Civil Liberties Union Speaker's Bureau Presentation in Greeley, Colorado, “Immigration Issues,” July 2013
- American Immigration Lawyers Association National Annual Conference in San Francisco, “Motions to Suppress and Immigration Court Challenges to Illegal Government Action,” June 2013
- Immigration Law 2013, Colorado Bar Association CLE, “Cancellation of Removal,” May 2013
- Studio 12, Rocky Mountain PBS, “A New Path to Citizenship” (Panelist), February 2013
- Studio 12, Rocky Mountain PBS, “Undocumented Students and the American Dream” (Panelist), September 2012
- American Immigration Lawyers Association National Annual Conference in Nashville, “Defending Noncitizens Who Have Drug Convictions,” June 2012
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Colorado Chapter CLE, “USCIS Prosecutorial Discretion Issues: Strategies for I-601s, NTAs, and Federal Actions on I-485s,” February 2012
- Model Hearing Program, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network, “Ten-Year and Seven-Year Cancellation of Removal,” October 2011
- American Immigration Lawyers Association National Annual Conference in San Diego, “Basics of Family Immigration,” June 2011
- Colorado Youth Summit 2011, Center for Education in Law and Democracy, “Discussion on the Proposed ASSET Bill,” April 2011
- Colorado Civics Day 2010, Center for Education in Law and Democracy, “The 14th Amendment and Birthright Citizenship for Children of Undocumented Parents,” December 2010
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Colorado Chapter CLE, “Colorado Assault Statutes and Moral Turpitude,” January 2010